Bleeding can be common and a small amount is expected following the operation possibly for the next 24 hours. If bleeding does occur you can place a sterile gauze pad between your cheek/lip and the treated area for thirty minutes. If active bleeding continues to persist please call Fresh Pond Dentistry in Cambridge for further care.
- Ice packs are recommended for the first 36 hours following a surgery. You can apply ice regularly while you are awake in fifteen minute intervals.
- Take over-the-counter medicines: Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Advil or Motrin for pain relief. Please follow the package directions about the required dosage. If the pain has not decreased after three days or if the pain has felt worse, please feel free to call our office.
- If you have been prescribed medicine for extreme pain please note that the medication may make you tired and can cause slower reflexes.
- If you were prescribed an antibiotic, please finish your prescription regardless of your symptoms. Unless you have a rash, then stop taking the prescription and speak with an associate at our office for further instruction.
- On the day of surgery or while there is bleeding do not rinse your mouth. After the first day you can use a warm salt water rinse every 4 hours and post meals.
- Try to drink plenty of fluids. Refrain from eating spicy foods and restrict your diet to soft foods. Do not drink through straws.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not smoke.
If all is followed, the healing time should be pain-free and a successful surgery can be guaranteed.
Your dentist in Cambridge cares about your health and well being. Please give us a call if you have any questions or concerns!